Friday, September 7, 2012

Choosing my battles

Lately, it feels like my day can be best summed up as a battle of some sort or another.  The battle to get my boys ready for school, to get them to eat something that resembles a vegetable, to get them to sleep, against clutter and loneliness and the ongoing battle to get control of our finances and build up some savings.

So I guess it shouldn't be a surprise then that I am tired.  Physically tired from staying up late to watch 2 solid weeks of convention coverage (I'm a politics junkie/nerd) and emotionally tired from the constant barrage of small, truthfully inconsequential battles that I am fighting all day long.  And as the boys refused to nap yet and I spent that time putting them back in bed over and over again while stressing over all the things I wasn't getting done I realized that it was time to let some things go.  To take it easy on myself and realize that some things just aren't worth fighting for. 

So tonight the boys are playing in the dirt, well really mud thanks to the rain from last night and I am just letting it go.  That's what showers and hoses and maybe even a power washer is for. We might have McDonald's for dinner (again) and those french fries will 100% count as vegetables.  Maybe I'll go totally crazy and refuse to wipe down the kitchen counters with disinfectant spray AND I won't sweep the floor either.  And hopefully it will be the reminder that I need that those things don't keep the world spinning or bring my family happiness. 

In fact, I am pretty sure their grimy finger nails are making the boys far happier than clean counters ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment